Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread | Sugar Free + Vegan

10.28.2019





 I'm not quite done with the pumpkin creations just yet, and quite honestly, I don't want them to end. As basic as I may sound, pumpkin really is such a delicious addition to baking / cooking and I've been especially loving it this year.

Not only is this recipe ridiculously yummy, but it is also completely sugar free. I've been wanting to create some healthier alternatives, not just for the blog, but also for myself, and I was so happy with how this recipe turned out. This recipe has also proved that you really don't need to add unnecessary sugars to a lot of recipes as this banana bread tasted no different to any others that I've tried.

So if you're looking to create something a bit healthier to snack on or even have for breakfast, then this is for you!

- HEALTHY PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD -

Prep Time: 10 mins    Cook Time: 60 mins

You will need:

- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned, both work)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seeds mixed with 6 tbsp water)
- 1 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp NatVia sweetener, optional*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Method:

1. Pre heat the oven to 180C and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.

2. Make your flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp flax seeds with 6 tbsp water. Stir and place in the refrigerator while you prep the other ingredients.

3. In a medium sized bowl, mash up the two bananas with a fork. Mix the bananas with the pumpkin puree and slowly add in the vanilla extract. Stir everything well before setting aside.

4. Sieve the self raising flour into a large mixing bowl along with the baking powder, NatVia sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix them well before slowing pouring in the flax eggs. Stir until well combined, either by hand or with a mixer.

5. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir them together until completely combined.

6. Cut the walnuts into tiny chunks and pour them into the mixture along with the dark chocolate chips. Fold them into the mixture with a spatula / wooden spoon until well incorporated.

7. Pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin. Use a spatula to spread the mixture to the edges and make the top an even layer.

8. Place the loaf in the oven for 1 hour. Once an hour has passed, remove the loaf from the oven and leave to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.

*This recipe was my first time using NatVia sweetener, so I don't know what it would taste like without, but I can imagine it would be just as delicious. However, if you would like the sweetness without all the calories, I would highly suggest trying out their sweetener!

What's your favourite way to use pumpkin in baking / cooking?

Love Always,
Shannon x 
*This post contains gifted items.

1 comment

  1. Oh Shannon I can't believe I found this recipe for banana bread on your blog. In the past months I've spent almost every break at a small coffeeshop next to my office to get their banana bread. One could say I am obsessed with it. The fact that I found this recipe here means that I really should give it a try and bake one myself.

    thanks for sharing this!

    lots of love, Miri
    www.meetmiri.com

    ReplyDelete