Shannon Michelle

Beauty, fashion and lifestyle blogger from the UK..

Saturday, 22 July 2017

CLEAN EATING SNACK IDEAS

If you're trying to follow a healthy lifestyle or want to make gradual changes to your diet, snacking is a major part of it. Sometimes when we've planned out our meals for the day when we're being super healthy, we forget about the snacks in between meals. I personally don't snack as much during the day like I used to which I love, but sometimes it is really nice to have a little something to fill the gap between lunch and dinner or in the evenings. So here are a few of my favourite snack ideas, hopefully these will help you to eat a bit cleaner instead of eating processed foods between meals or to encourage you to try some new foods!

1 -  Matcha tea: 
I used to, well actually still do, see so many people on Instagram and Youtube raving about Matcha tea/lattes. I tried matcha for the first time around a year ago and honestly didn't love it all too much, but I decided to try it again recently and have developed a liking for it a bit more, but I definitely think the more I start drinking it the more it will grow on me. Matcha is so good for boosting your metabolism and burning calories as well as being rich in fibre, chlorophyll and vitamins! 

2 - Fresh fruit:
This is the most obvious one that you've heard a million times before, but not only does fruit taste incredible anyway, but each kind of fruit benefits your body in some way or another. You can't really go wrong by eating it. Reaching for a cup of strawberries, blueberries or cherries is so much healthier than reaching for a chocolate bar which is just going to give you energy for all of five minutes until you have a sugar crash and zero energy, but hey we're all guilty of doing it anyway so don't sweat it. 

3 - Bell pepper slices with hummus:
Okay so hummus is my absolute favourite food anyway so i'm lucky that it's healthy and isn't causing my body any harm, but omg, try it with red bell pepper slices and you will cry tears of happiness (maybe not but you get the point), IT'S JUST SO DAMN GOOD.

4 - Raw protein bars
These are one of the best snacks if you're on the go or don't have much time to prep anything like cutting up fruit. You can make a big batch of raw protein bars and store them in airtight container to grab on the go. 
Here's a few suggestions to try:
Super Healthy Granola Bar by Eats Amazing
No-Bake Protein bars by Whole New Mom
No-Bake Superfood Granola Bars by Domestic Gothess

5 - Raw energy balls
These are basically the same things as energy/protein bars just in ball form. There are SO many recipes for these simple little creations and they all look amazing. I used to be obsessed with making these and will definitley get back into snacking on them again as they're packed with nutrients and give you the perfect amount of energy!
Here's a few recipes I've found:
No Bake Chia Energy Bites by My Fussy Eats
Raw Chocolate Brownie Bites (nut free) by Wallflower Kitchen
"Nutella" Stuffed Cookie Dough Balls by Nadias Healthy Kitchen (I will definitley be making these sometime soon!!)

6 - Carrot Fries
I recently started making these and they're so amazing you wouldn't think they're as healthy as they are! If you don't want to follow a high carb diet, then making carrot fries instead of potato fries is definitley a great alternative. I cut these into thin strips, put them onto a baking tray with a tiny amount of olive oil and sprinkle some seasonings onto them, baking them in the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, depending on how how crunchy you want them, the shorter you leave them the crunchier they are. I also highly recommend dipping these in hummus! (these are in the photo above)

7 - Popcorn + cinnamon
Make some air-popped popcorn (around 2 cups) and sprinkle with a teaspoon of cinnamon and enjoy as a healthy movie night snack. I can imagine adding a little bit of coconut sugar into this would make it taste even better and give it a sweeter flavour while still remaining healthy and enjoyable!

8 - Apple + peanut butter
This is one of my absolute favourite healthy snacks! I simply cut one apple into slices with a tablespoon of peanut butter on the side, I also love sprinkling cinnamon on the apple slices as it makes this 100x more yummy, but is completely optional. You can use any other nut butter if you want, I would love to try this with hazelnut butter!

9 - Homemade tortilla chips + salsa
This is also another favourite healthy snack idea that i've been making for years. I slice one tortilla into small triangles and place them in the oven for around ten minutes to crisp them up. I then dip this into salsa or hummus and I love it! You could also dip these into guacamole but I'm really not a fan of avocado so I personally don't really like this.
Here are some great salsa and hummus recipes to try!:
Sweetcorn Salsa by Delicious Magazine
Lazy Day Salsa by The Slow Roasted Italian
The Best Homemade Fresh Tomato Salsa by Little Broken
Classic Hummus by Gimme Some Oven
Thai Peanut Hummus by Fooduzzi
Smoky Red Pepper Hummus by Poppy And The Bees

10 - Chocolate "Nice Cream"
Place 2 -3 frozen bananas (make sure you cut them up before freezing), 1 tbsp cacao powder and a splash of soy / any other plant milk (I use coconut) in a blender and blend until it forms a smooth ice cream like texture. You can play around with this recipe by adding things like dark chocolate chips or topping the nice cream with fresh fruit and coconut flakes. There are so many options! This is perfect on a sunny day when you crave ice cream but would like a plant based / healthier alternative.

These are just a few suggestions but I hope they helped you with some new ideas, let me know if you try any!

What's your favourite healthy snack?

Shannon
x

8 comments:

  1. I should make my own protein bars...I bet it would help me to save money because I buy like two boxes of Power Crunch bars every week!

    http://colleenwelsch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitley, let me know how it goes! x

      Delete
  2. Loved this!! I've been eating homemade sweet potato fries more recently but defo will try carrots too.
    Liv x
    livwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweet potato fries! but I loved trying carrot fries as they just felt that little bit more healthier and just as enjoyable! x

      Delete
  3. I love this! I'm trying to start a health kick, so this is super helpful!xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! I'm glad this post could help! x

      Delete
  4. wuuuuuuut carrot fries?! how have these managed to evade me for so long?! i love carrots and i love chips (always find them one of the hardest things to give up when i'm trying to eat clean!) so this is like my match made in heaven!!! ♥

    katie xx lacoconoire.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl you have got to try these! Chips are still pretty irresistible though, let's be real! x

      Delete