Shannon Michelle

Beauty, fashion and lifestyle blogger from the UK..

Monday, 2 January 2017

HELLO 2017 | WHY 2016 WAS GOOD TO ME + NEW YEAR GOALS

That's it, another year over, but a new year set full of goals ahead. Like most people, I have had many ups and downs in 2016, but the good outway the bad and i'm extremely grateful for the opportunities and incredible memories I created this year. I have been through experiences that have shaped me into a better version of myself and met new people that have changed my life in the best way possible. I had no goals set for 2016, I kind of just went with the flow and although there were a few downfalls, I pulled myself up again and completed the year with a positive outlook on life and the years to come. 

CONFIDENCE-
If you asked me year or two ago to go out alone or do something as simple as ordering coffee I would have panicked and said no because being around strangers when I was alone was a big deal. In 2016 I gained a heck of a lot of confidence, I traveled places on my own and felt a lot more independant whereas I always felt like I needed someone around me to feel okay before. I can talk to strangers (although still slightly nerve wracking at times) so much easier than ever before and feel comfortable around new people. Since starting college in September I've had to be a lot more independent and deal with situations alone. I am proud of myself now that my confidence has grown and I know that as time goes by throughout 2017 it will carry on growing and I will no longer have to worry about the small things that really don't matter. Weight has always been a big thing for me also, so losing a few stone in 2016 in a sensible, healthy way has made me feel so much more body confident - although I feel like I still have a little way to go yet until I am 100% happy with myself.

MENTAL HEALTH AND THINGS I'VE LEARNT - 
I struggle badly with anxiety and my moods are always going up and down randomly, but 2016 has taught me a lot of things and I think it all ties in with my confidence and mental health. I feel like I am starting to know my own mind, I know what career path I want to go down and I know the goals I need to set to get there. I know that people come and go in life and you need to accept that not everyone sticks around, no matter how much you want them to, sometimes life just gets in the way. I've learnt to listen to my gut, other peoples opinions and views on a situation don't always matter and if they do, listen to those who have stuck around a long time, not the people that you speak to every now and again. You know what's good for you. I've also learnt that it's healthy to have time alone to shut off from day to day things, having a pamper night, reading a good book - the small things, anything to help clear your mind.
ACHIEVEMENTS -
I finished my exams, started college and stepped way out of my comfort zone by travelling alone, meeting new people and studying fashion which is something I had never studied before so it was all completely new to me. I dealt with staying in hospital for almost a week without losing my mind and having an operation which was a little scary. I spoke to strangers without feeling terrified. I travelled to America and had an incredible time in DisneyWorld and Universal Studios. I became Vegan which meant completely changing my eating habits literally overnight. I made new friends at concerts that I still stay in contact with. I discovered a love for art, poetry and history. I went on several adventures around London and made a ton of hilarious memories that I will always look back on. I saw my favourite musical - Les Mis. I gained a lot more readers on my blog which makes me so happy. I made time for the people that truly matter, not the people that pick and choose when they want to be in my life. I saw a ton of my favourite musicians and even met a few including Little Mix, Nina Nesbitt and Andy Black. I consumed more iced coffee than ever before. I worked with some really cool brands. I discovered my new favourite restaurant in Brighton. I developed a liking for herbal tea. I met my lifelong best friend. I made a dress made out of trash for an event and it actually looked pretty good in the end. I became the happiest i've been in a long time.

2017 GOALS -

1. Step up my fitness game.
2. Push myself more to get the career I want.
3. Express myself with fashion a lot more by stepping out of my comfort zone.
4. Read at least 20 books.
5. Shut off from social media more often.
6. Study food + nutrition.
7. Discover new music and attend smaller gigs.
8. Become more organized. 
9. Go to an art gallery. 
10. Be more consistent with blog posts by posting once or twice a week.
11. Have more fun and worry less.

I am so grateful for the lessons I learnt throughout 2016, life's too short to worry about the little things and I think that's something that we all have to remind ourselves of more often. I'm happy and proud of everything I achieved, and here's to hoping we all achieve our 2017 goals and make even more (if not better) memories this year. 


what is your biggest goal for 2017?

shannon
x


2 comments:

  1. Couldn't relate more to the first two, but you've done extremely well! It sounds like you've had an amazing year! Happy New Year! xx

    http://luxuryblush.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with what you said about your mental health and the things you've learnt! I have figured out how my mind works and whats good for me. There's also nothing wrong with having sometime to yourself and unwinding from the day. Lovely post and best of luck for 2017 xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete