Shannon Michelle

Beauty, fashion and lifestyle blogger from the UK..

Wednesday, 16 March 2016

A HEALTHIER, HAPPIER ME

For about six years I have been extremely conscious of the way I look, whether it being facial features, weight, you name it. To be completley honest, I never thought I'd be writing something so personal on the internet to be seen by literally anyone and since this is my first personal post on my little ol' blog, it's actually pretty harder than I imagined it to be.


                                                                  (photo from weheartit)
     

When I was 14 I hated myself so much, I knew then that I wanted to make a change, so I tried. I did what I thought would be okay to my body at the time by trying several different "fad diets". These things may seem a good idea to get the weight off fast, but they are impossible to maintain. It's not at all healthy to be living off of protien bars and shakes with a daily intake of around 600 - 900 calories. Anyways, this went on for a while, constantly trying to get the weight off and being furious with myself when the number on the scales wouldn't budge after a while. I remember feeling so physically drained of energy and just wanting to sleep all the time, it sucked. I would be on and off with these diets all the time and it wasn't doing my body any favours. I even found that these diets would cause me to build up a lot of stress, resulting in moody behaviour and an outbreak of spots. My skin wasn't looking great, I wasn't feeling great, so why did I still feel the need to carry on?

I think it's pretty hard for anyone to find a diet/lifestyle that suits them best and be 100% happy with it. I just know that I never plan on going down that "fad diet" road again. After I realised that fad diets were no good, I kinda just ate whatever I felt like eating and stopped following set meal plans etc.. yet I still wasn't happy. I then started watching Niomi Smart on YouTube who follows a plant based diet and makes a ton of recipe videos that are all vegan. My first thought was "This looks kinda cool, I want to try it." I then found out that a close friend of mine from Australia (shoutout to you Lils, I know you're reading) was also vegan. This intrigued me even more knowing that I had someone to give me advice on it. Lily recommended watching a video called "101 reasons to go vegan" and just like that I knew that this is what I wanted to do, not only for myself but to join that tiny percentage in the world that want to make change to the environment. The guy in the video speaks so much sense, I was completely blown away with it. I have had comments such as "ha, you're not going to last", some may even say I'm being silly and just "following a trend", but to anyone who choses to be ignorant about what's really going on in the world, I refuse to listen to your opinion when you don't actually understand the harm being caused. I have been asked so many times "how are you supposed to get any protein if you're not eating meat??" but little do they know how many foods there are packed with protein such as quinoa, nuts, seeds, the list is endless. I'm obviously not here to go on about how YOU have to become vegan yourself by shoving my opinions down your throat, that's not what I'm aiming to do at all. I just wanted to get a few personal things out there.

I've never considered myself much of  a meat lover anyways, so I found that pretty easy to cut out. Some people recommend cutting out meat for a little while rather than cutting out meat and dairy products all at once, but some say to do whatever the hell you want to make you happy. and that's what I'm doing - making myself as happy as I possibly can be.

I haven't been vegan for long at all, this is partly why I was so hesitant to write this post since i'm pretty new at the whole thing. In my short experience, I have realised that it's not half as hard as I thought it would be, there are endless amounts of alternatives to foods full of sugar, meat and dairy. This kind of diet is maintainable. It's healthy and I love it.

My skin feels great, I have no spots whatsoever, I have so much energy pretty much all the time, I wake up in the mornings feeling happy and ready to start the day for once, and I'm finally starting to feel happy with myself. I also love love love working out by following all sorts of pilate videos on blogilates on YouTube and various other exercises.also.

I really want to go into more detail about veganism, I just have so much to say, but I think i'm going to write about it in another post instead of trying to squeeze it into this one.

I am honestly really proud of myself for changing my lifestyle and creating a healthier me. I know I've still got a long way to go but I'm working on it.

6 comments:

  1. That's amazing, love when others make such lifestyle changes, very motivating! Keep it up xo

    Selftimers Blog | Bloglovin' | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you the fact that you've done something about your thoughts! Was so interesting to read your story! Keep up the good work!
    Charlotte // www.charlottespicks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. I was exactly like you when i was about 14, I would restrict my calories and not even consider my nutrition. All i wanted to do was sleep cos I has such little energy!
    I have been a vegetarian since i was about 6 but I really want to become vegan as like you I have read about the benefits it can have. Looking forward to hearing your story :)

    Sophie xx
    www.dreamdesiredo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becoming vegan was honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made, so I definitely recommend it! yes, the benefits are great! Thank you x

      Delete