Shannon Michelle

Beauty, fashion and lifestyle blogger from the UK..

Sunday, 17 January 2016

COULD YOU EAT A PROTEIN BAR MADE WITH CRICKETS?




Recently, the lovely Christine from Gathr foods sent me over some of her  'Crobar' protein bars, made with cricket flour. What was that? cricket flour? okay I was pretty surprised by this too, but let me explain.. 

Until a few weeks ago, I had no idea about the benefits of eating crickets (never thought I'd say that) and how good they are not only for you, but for the planet. Crickets contain twice as much as iron as spinach, are a high quality protein AND contain half the amount of fat than beef. These bars are actually the first energy bar in the UK made with cricket flour which I thought was pretty impressive.

I was sent both the peanut and cricket flour bar as well as the cacao and cricket flour bar. I was surprised by the flavours of both bars since each are quite different. The peanut and cricket flour bar contains ingredients such as peanuts, sultanas, dates, sunflower seeds and of course cricket flour. I preferred this bar over the second one as it had a less bitter taste to it. If you are a lover of peanut butter or peanuts in general, this is the bar for you. 

The cacao and cricket flour bar included ingredients such as cashews, sunflower seeds, goji berries, sultanas, dates, chia seeds, cacao nibs and again, of course, cricket flour. I honestly thought I would like this bar a lot more than I did. I'm not sure what it is that I didn't like, but I thought that it was really bitter. I wasn't a fan. I like most of the ingredients individually, but combined, I didn't like it all too much.

These bars are packed in with nutrients and would make a perfect on-the-go snack. I just don't think these bars were for me. I also found these bars very similar to 'Nakd' bars which you can find in most local supermarkets. So if you have ever tried those and liked them, then you are bound to like 'Crobars'! 

I loved the packaging for these bars as they were creative and had an interesting pop of colour.

If you are interested in trying these bars or even just the cricket flour for yourself, you can find them all here.


Could you eat a protein bar made with crickets?

1 comment:

  1. Multivitamin capsules without workout is useless. Fatburner just helps; workout should be the main source to burn fat. protein bar

    ReplyDelete